On Dec 27, 8:05 pm, MonkeeSage <MonkeeS... / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 8:22 am, Santanu <thisissant... / gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 27, 6:56 pm, Jeremy McAnally <jeremymcana... / gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I believe you can use `help`.  For example:  help puts
> > Yes, I did try things like 'help puts', but all I get are these error
> > messages:
> > irb(main):032:0> help puts
>
> > No ri documentation found in:
>
> > Was rdoc run to create documentation?
>
> > I use Ubuntu 7.10, and I have already installed rdoc. I don't
> > understand
> > the error message much but it seems I have to do something else to
> > make the help command work. Do I have to install ruby source and run
> > rdoc through them?

> Maybe there are ri / ruby-doc / ruby-dev packages that provide the
> docs? You shouldn't have to build from source...I can't imagine the
> maintainers of Ubuntu would leave it out altogether. But I could be
> wrong...in which case here is a guide for building ruby from source on
> ubuntu (it's easy :)http://www.rubywizards.com/viewtopic.php?pid=19

Thanks. Just now I compiled ruby-1.9 and installed it with docs. Now,
at least
help command at the irb prompt provides some help. 'help puts' is
still
problematic though, but things like 'help Array' does give some
understandable
result.

However, I am still searching for the exact syntax for asking for help
on say, Array.collect, etc. at the irb prompt. Any pointers?

Regards,
Santanu