About three or four months ago, I ran across a great article/blog post
somewhere, arguing that corporations (like Google) should stop restricting
their developers to two or three specific programming languages.

I specifically remember it making the point that even if we only program a
web app in "one language", like C++ or Java, we really end up programing in
about 30 languages anyway: batch scripts, shell scripts, Apache config,
SQL, macros, templates, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JSON or XML, etc.

Can anyone remember this article?  It was NOT:

- Martin Fowler's OneLanguage article on his bliki
-
- Any of the "learn a new language every year" posts; this was focused on
company policy, not developer enrichment
- Neal Ford's Polyglot Programming post (it was longer than that)
- Bob Warfield's SmoothSpan post

Please let me know if you know the one I mean.  (And if you feel the need
to argue for/against polyglot programming, please, PLEASE, at least rename
the subject line.)

--
Jay Levitt                |
Boston, MA                | My character doesn't like it when they