On Dec 20, 10:25   򮮮
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 1.0.1
>
> Release 1.0.1 fixes a few bugs.
>
> Bugs Fixed:
>
> * Installation on Ruby 1.8.3 through 1.8.5 fixed
> * `gem build` on 1.8.3 fixed
>
> Other Changes Include:
>
> * Since RubyGems 0.9.5, RubyGems is no longer supported on Ruby 1.8.2 > or older,
>

> == How can I get RubyGems?
>
> NOTE:      > new RubyGems through the same packaging system.
>
> If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
> you need to do is:
>
>  gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)
>
> (Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
> installed rubygems-update gems).
>
> If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
> do it in two steps:
>
>  gem install rubygems-update again, might need to be admin/root)
>  update_rubygems ... here too)
>
> If you don't have any gems install, there is still the pre-gem
> approach to getting software ... doing it manually:
>
> 1. DOWNLOAD FROM:http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
> 2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
> 3. INSTALL WITH:
>
> == To File Bugs
>
> The RubyGems bug tracker can be found on RubyForge at:http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=add&group_id=126&atid=575
>
> When filing a bug, `gem env` output will be helpful in diagnosing the > issue.
>
> If you find a bug where RubyGems crashes, please provide debug output.  > do that with `gem --debug the_command`.
>
> == Thanks
>
> Keep those gems coming!
>
> -- Jim & Chad & Eric (for the RubyGems team)

Using gem 1.0.1 install via gems update --system

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ruby -v

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>gem -v
1.0.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>gem which rubygems
(checking gem rubygems-update-1.0.1 for rubygems)
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

How come it cannot "see" these gems which are available from
rubyforge?
    win32-api-1.0.5-x86-mswin32-60.gem or
    win32-service-0.6.0-x86-mswin32-60.gem

ps neither does gems -v 0.9.4

I downloaded the gems from rubyforge and did a local install
which worked out correctly -- no problem that I know of.

Am I correct that it is not necessary to install rubygems-update if
I do a gem update --system?

Thank yous to the rubygems team, your work is much appreciated.