On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:05:21 GMT, ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com (Phil
Tomson) wrote:

>It's been several months since we've had one of these surveys for those
>who have just arrived in RubyLand....

 I thought this would be a good time to de-lurk.

>So, if you're relatively new to Ruby (let's say it's been less than three
>months since you tried out Ruby) or if you find that you want to answer,
>here are a few questions for you:
>
>1) How did you find out about Ruby?

The Dr. Dobbs article.

>2) Prior to finding Ruby, what programming language(s) did you primarily
>use?

C, C++, and JAVA

>3) (this question is for folks coming from PythonLand or PerlLand)
>What Python or Perl modules do you miss most and wish that Ruby had?

The text formatting stuff, (or maybe it does exist and I missed it?)

>4) (follow-up to #3) Would the lack of these modules preclude you from
>using Ruby?

No.

>5) Do you think you'll be using Ruby at work in the next:
>  3 months?   6 months?  (or do you already use it at work?)

I will try to advocate, but I will encounter resistance from the Java
faithful.

Resistance (to Ruby) is futile.

Nick Protokowicz
Rubite