Hi,

In message "Re: Ruby bug reading from /dev/urandom after failed require?"
    on Sun, 23 Dec 2007 00:20:05 +0900, Mike Boone <boonedocks / gmail.com> writes:

|I've been trying to track down a bug that surfaced when trying to
|generate a Rails 2.0.2 app in Cygwin. Reading from /dev/urandom fails
|with "No such file or directory - /dev/urandom" if a failed require
|has been made previously.

Could you describe how it fails for those who don't use Cygwin
platform, like myself?

|The Rails code looks OK, so I thought it might be Cygwin. I came up
|with a simple snippet that fails in Cygwin (see below). Corinna
|Vinschen over at Cygwin ran strace on it and thought it might be a
|Ruby bug...see her thoughts here:
|http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-12/msg00502.html
|
|I'm not well versed on the low level strace stuff, but I thought I'd
|try to see this through. I'd appreciate any comments from someone
|knowledgeable about the Ruby source.

The bug must lie between Cygwin and Ruby.  We don't call lseek
explicitly.  You can clearly see this by doing strace on Linux (or
other platforms), which don't call lseek at all.  So, someone (in the
library, I guess) must call lseek weirdly on Cygwin.

I have no clue right now to identify "someone".

							matz.