On Dec 21, 2007, at 9:59 PM, Ben Lipton wrote:
> Now, this is talking about class methods, not singleton methods on
> arbitrary
> objects, but I think the idea still applies because class methods are
> methods on a singleton, in this case the object Parser (which
> happens to be
> a Class).

I think your description is a bit misleading.

A class method is a singleton method of a class object.
A class is an instance of Class.

What I'm trying to point out is that class objects
are not 'singletons' in the sense of the one-and-only
instance of a particular class, which it appears to be
what you were alluding to if I'm not mistaken.
There are many instances of Class: Array, Object,
Parser, Hash, and so on.

This is yet another example where the word 'singleton',
as in singleton method and singleton class, can get confused
with the more generic use of singleton (which I don't
think applies here in any case).

Gary Wright