Cameron McBride <cameron.mcbride / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Isn't this exactly what rubyscript2exe does?
> > http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/
>
> Sounds like it to me, although I don't know starpacks at all.

Hi Cameron,

No, starkits and starpacks are actually much more powerful and
versatile.  The Tcl world had the equivalent of rubyscript2exe for years
and years, but when starkits and starpacks came out it everyone found it
a huge step forward when it came to deployment.

Among the advantages:
   * ship a single file platform-specific executable (as per *2exe)
   * ship a single file platform-neutral application, which can then be
run with a (single file) platform-specific but application-neutral
binary; in other words, your entire language runtime can be in a single
file you can just download, and use for many applications
   * no changing your code... because starkits are based on a virtual
file system, you refer to files "in" the starkit exactly the same as you
would normal files on disk, using standard I/O commands.  so that is
both scripts, data files, etc.
   * starkits can be used as a way to distribute source, again all in
one file; people can grab the starkit, unpack it, make some changes,
pack it up again
   * source can be optionally protected (i.e. you can't get the original
scripts back) using a compiler, which is actually a separate and
complementary tool

Mark