Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 19. Dez 2007, 20:26:57 +0900 schrieb Axel Etzold:
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:11:33 +0900
> > Von: Bertram Scharpf <lists / bertram-scharpf.de>
>
> > the PDF::Writer documentation reads:
> >
> >   add_image(image, x, y, ...)
> >
> >   Add an image from a loaded image (JPEG or PNG) resource ...
> >                                     ^^^^    ^^^
> >
> > The image I want to embed is in PostScript. In concrete, it is the
> > output of the GNU barcode tool.
> >
> > Is there any smarter way to embed it than to convert it to a pixel image
> > without knowing the printers resolution?
>
> it seems that it doesn't yet support any vector graphics or eps file support.
> An alternative, -- non-Ruby -- way would be to use latex to embed eps
> files and create a pdf from there, modifying the template.tex
> file with the entries for creating images, given in this tutorial:

This is very disappointing. I expected it were at least possible to
embed another PDF document on the page.

One further way failed as well: I found a Code39 barcode font on the web
as a TrueType font. Trying to embed it as described in the manual yields
the fatal message:

  /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-writer-1.1.3/lib/pdf/writer.rb:878:in `load_font': undefined local variable or method `fbfile' for #<PDF::Writer:0xb788ad6c> (NameError)

This seems to be a severe bug as the variable `fbfile' doesn't appear
anywhere else in the whole /usr/lib/ruby tree.

It seems that TeX still remains the only real typesetting system.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany