-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:11:33 +0900
> Von: Bertram Scharpf <lists / bertram-scharpf.de>
> An: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: PDF::Writer, embedding non-PNGs

> Hi,
>

> the PDF::Writer documentation reads:
>
>   add_image(image, x, y, ...)
>
>   Add an image from a loaded image (JPEG or PNG) resource ...
>                                     ^^^^    ^^^
>
> The image I want to embed is in PostScript. In concrete, it is the
> output of the GNU barcode tool.
>
> Is there any smarter way to embed it than to convert it to a pixel image
> without knowing the printers resolution?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bertram
>

> --
> Bertram Scharpf
> Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
> http://www.bertram-scharpf.de

Dear Bertram,

from PDF::Writer's documentation,

(http://www.artima.com/rubycs/articles/pdf_writerP.html and
Changelog in pdf-writer-1.1.7)

it seems that it doesn't yet support any vector graphics or eps file support.
An alternative, -- non-Ruby -- way would be to use latex to embed eps
files and create a pdf from there, modifying the template.tex
file with the entries for creating images, given in this tutorial:

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pyo22/students/latexRelated/latexTutorial.html

That webpage is now a bit dated, so for the installation of latex,
I'd rather recommend this:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=xetex

Use the command 'xelatex' from the xetex package on the source file
created. I think it will output a pdf straight away.

Best regards,

Axel

--
Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger geh÷˛t?
Der kann`s mit allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger?did=10