Harry Ohlsen wrote:

> [ruby-talk:28370] Documentation of the different Exception types
> I'd like to understand more about the standard exception
> classes that are defined for Ruby.
>
> I found a hierarchy diagram in the pickaxe book, showing
> which inherit from which others, but that doesn't really explain
> under what circumstances each type is normally raised.
>
> Icould  grep the Ruby source code, but before I do that, I thought
> I'd ask whether there's some documentation somewhere that
> would save me delving in quite that deep.
>
> Any suggestions?

I agree totally. This is absolutely essential to building fault-tolerant
systems in Ruby. If I don't know what exceptions a method will throw, or
even if it throws exceptions, how can I know how to handle them
correctly? It seems as if this is the only oversight in the otherwise
supremely excellent books by Dave/Andy and Matz alike.I find myself
having to go through the Exception class documentation to guess at
whether or not a method will throw an exception. Javadoc tells you
whether it throws an exception right in the method signature. I think we
need something like this for Ruby. Perhaps an extension to rdtool?

--
Tobias DiPasquale
Solaris System Administrator