Konrad Meyer wrote:
> Quoth Petr Kout:
>> >
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Peter
>
> There is a great library out in the wild called "metadata" that you can
> use to
> get information about mp3s (as well as many other filetypes) that I
> think is
> available in gem form. You might take a look at that.
>
> If you want to truncate a constant bitrate mp3, AFAIK they are
> structured such
> that you *could* crudely lop off some bytes from the end (channels *
> time_to_clip * bitrate bytes). If not, you'll need to use some sort of
> external mp3 library. I don't know of any that exist with ruby bindings.
> You
> might look at LAME though I'm not sure how much that will do.
>
> HTH,

Okay Konrad, thanks very much! That sounds interesting. I will
definitely look into it. I was thinking that for cutting the mp3, I
might look for some other technology, such as a command line tool for
Linux and run it from inside Ruby on Rails. The metadata library sounds
like exactly what I need. I also need a library to crop pictures, but I
assume that that one should be much easier to find.

Thanks again.

Peter