Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to =20
create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce =20=

that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.

The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3

Here's the plan.  I'm starting with the second edition text and going =20=

through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120 =20
pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages =20
with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are =20=

updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second =20
edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book =20=

is done.

Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will =20
track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we =20
move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has =20=

stabilized.

We=92re experimenting with something different for this book. With all =20=

our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has =20=

to be bought again. With this edition, we=92re offering substantial =20
discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or =20=

PDFs were bought from us).

To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the =20
books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log =20
in to your existing account) on http://pragprog.com. You'll find =20
buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

Enjoy

Dave Thomas