I have a background in C++ and VB from a few years back, but I'm
learning Ruby and Rails for a work project.

I remember back in my college days that we'd be given a project every
week, and they were something very simple at the beginning (like
converting Celsius to Fahrenheit to something very complex by the end of
the semester.) I'd like to do something like this again.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have a number of Ruby books, but none of
them have "do this project before the next chapter" sort of thing in
them.

It would be a cool feature for some Ruby site to have "12 projects in 12
weeks" reference. If I come up with something, maybe I'll make the site.
Who knows...