On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 05:03:00AM +0900, Ryan Davis wrote:

> Education at any and all levels is what you make of it. The trend I
> saw across all of your examples is that you wasted your time and
> didn't learn very much.

That's a gross generalization -- such a sweeping generalization that it
entirely leaves the realm of accuracy.  At least three people here
(including me) made the point that while it seems most instructors don't
really teach anything effectively, and don't much teach what the
certificate or degree program promises, individual effort can more than
make up for the deficiencies of the classes.

> That was what I was interested in and that is what I pushed myself on.

. . . which just reinforces the point about individual effort.

John W. Russell: "People point. Sometimes that's just easier. They also use
words. Sometimes that's just easier. For the same reasons that pointing has
not made words obsolete, there will always be command lines."