Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:

> How did it fail?

On Blue Gene/L the compute nodes are different from the login node, so
you have to cross compile everything. The configure script stops first
when trying to test the   setpgrp functions.

>checking whether setpgrp takes no argument... configure: error: cannot check setpgrp when cross compiling

GNU Autoconf 2.59 was used to generate the configure file.

For Ruby1.8 I just hacked the configure script to comment out offending
lines, but it would be nice if the configure.in file was modified to get
rid of cross compiling problems.

>> > make
>> ./lib/fileutils.rb:1532:in `public': undefined method `commands' for
>> class `Module' (NameError)
>
> How is MINIRUBY defined in Makefile?

MINIRUBY = ruby -I/MY_PATH/ruby -rfake $(MINIRUBYOPT)
RUNRUBY = $(MINIRUBY) -I`cd $(srcdir)/lib; pwd`

Is miniruby anything special or can I just replace it with a working
ruby1.8.6 build?

>> blrts_xlc -O5 -qarch=440d -qtune=440   -I. -I.ext/include/powerpc-linux
>> -I./include -I.  -DRUBY_EXPORT -D_GNU_SOURCE=1  -c prelude.c
>> make: *** No rule to make target `thread_.h', needed by `error.o'.
>
> Seems pthread isn't supported, or isn't detected properly.

Yes. The compute nodes of Blue Gene/L use a very stripped down kernel
that makes everything run in one process. No forking allowed, no
pthreads. Is there something I have to pass in order to turn off OS
threading? For ruby1.8 this wasn't a problem.