On Dec 11, 2007, at 02:55 , Mark Woodward wrote:

> Interviewer: "What can you tell me about the OSI?"
> Interviewer: "What's OOP"
> Interviewer: "What languages have you used?"
> (See a trend yet ;-))
> Interviewer: "What Operating systems are you familar with?"
>
> Uni teaches a lot of theory, but unless you're working in the industry
> that's all it is.. theory! I'm actually working in IT now but I
> wasn't for the first 8 years of the degree.

I've been trying to avoid this thread but this one pissed me off...

Education at any and all levels is what you make of it. The trend I
saw across all of your examples is that you wasted your time and
didn't learn very much. I worked my butt off and left proficient in
imperative programming (pascal, modula-2 C), object oriented
programming (esp smalltalk but also C++), formal language theory so I
could build my own languages, build tools like make, and a lot more.
That was what I was interested in and that is what I pushed myself on.

We had another group lecture us on OSI so I know they left school
proficient on the networking side. Indeed, two of them went on to work
for speakeasy, another went to amazon and worked on the network
security team.

OSI wasn't my bag so I listened to the lecture and moved on. If you
leave college with a CS degree and you aren't hire-able, it is
nobody's fault but your own.

This is just as true for certificate programs as it is for undergrad,
high school, whatever. You get out of it what you make of it.