On 2007-12-11 08:50 +0900 (Tue), Tim Hunter wrote:

> For a problem of this scale, it seems like it would make sense to use a
> custom class that had some of the methods of String - enough for the
> callees to treat it like a String - but not in fact String. Give it a .to_s
> method to convert to a real String when it's really necessary.

That's a good idea. In fact, I could use a struct of the same shape as
RString, and just invoke methods in string.c to do the real work for the
methods I decide to implement. I could also leave the objects existant
after the backing pages have been unmapped (as I do now with the String
objects), but tweak them so that they throw an exception when you try
to use them after that, as opposed to the current situation where the
interpreter dumps core.

Thanks for the idea.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson       <cjs / starling-software.com>        +81 90 7737 2974