On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:44:15 -0800 (PST), Dumaiu wrote:

> 	In languages that support this, isn't it normal for the compiler to
> generate an error if you declare the same variable twice at the same
> scope level?  So even if you do make this kind of mistake, it
> announces its presence on the first pass?

Sure, but again, if you mistyped the chronologically-second,
semantically-first var as

   def say_hello(destination, first_name)
     var destination
     var firsst_name

Hey, no error, no overlap!

Ruby already has a way (several ways, actually!) for all these errors to be
announced on the "first pass".  Test::Unit, RSpec, etc.

--
Jay Levitt                |
Boston, MA                | My character doesn't like it when they