Simone Murdock wrote:
> I'd like to buy (for a gift) 1 or 2 books about Ruby for a non-novice
> user: I don't know  Ruby, so I ask you an advice...
>
> Searching on Google, I've found these:
>
> Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide, Second Edition
>  http://www.pragprog.com/titles/ruby/index.html
>
> and
>
> The Ruby way, 839 pg, 2nd edition 2006
> http://books.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/08/1539259&from=rss
>
> Could be good ?

Both are good books, but I'd check to see if the person has them
already. Both are standard references and most "non-novice" Ruby
programmers will have them. If the person is not a Rails programmer, you
might want to look at "Ruby for Rails" and "Agile Web Development With
Rails, 2nd Edition". O'Reilly's "Ruby Cookbook" and "Rails Cookbook" are
also good "second Ruby books" for people who have the basics already.