On Dec 10, 2007 12:10 PM, MonkeeSage <MonkeeSage / gmail.com> wrote:
> 2.) While that may alleviate the typo problem, it introduces another
> class of bugs which are just as subtle:
>
> var list = create_useful_list
> if should_modify_list(list)
>     # I meant to modify the variable "list" here...
>     var list = modify_list(list)
> end
> use_list(list)
>
> Once one became accustomed to typing "var", there is every chance that
> it would be used places where a pre-existing variable was meant, but
> the "var" just got typed out of habit.

This happens to me in perl, possibly about as often as the typo
problem in Ruby, possibly more.  I'll note that I have a habit
intended to avoid typo problems: I fairly consistently use Vim's
"Ctrl-N" (complete based on string search in other parts of code),
even for short strings, just to avoid typos.

Eivind.