On Dec 8, 2007 2:05 PM, Grabber <grabber / gmail.com> wrote:
> First i'm new to ruby!
>
> I see the open source projects from any developer as the better way to see
> what one developer can do! When we talk about certifications, we can't know
> if the developer really KNOW, or just KNOW ACTUALLY TESTS. We need
> developers to solve and create new problems and not to copy/paste/decorate!
>
> My suggestion is:
>
> I new concept of certifications, without tests! To get the ruby
> certification the developer sign-in in a web site, and submit a project.
> This project will be mentored by other(s) developer(s) and he will say: "he
> is a good developer, now he is a ruby certified" or "he is NOT a good
> developer...".
>
> I never see this concept of certification, but it sounds nice for me!
>
> (sorry for my poor english, i'm learning!)
>
> Regards,
> Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso aka Grabber
> engineer student at maua.br
> Brazil - S Paulo

I'm kind of with Austin here.  Mostly because I've seen the IT world
dive right into certs that prove no capability whatsoever.  My
favorite story involves a guy who spent a reasonable sum of money to
get Cisco certified only to become mortified later that his
credibility was a far more important currency.  Certs don't really
make for a good litmus test.  I'm not a manager or employer, but I can
tell you who I would hire just from reading this email list; and no,
it has nothing to do with being white or having an Ivy League
education.

My 2c.

Todd