Christian Kerth wrote:
> Hey I want to create a growl like notification system for a ruby
> application. I'm using the wxruby toolkit.
>
> Is there a component that allows such a behavior (display text, not
> shown in taskbar...). I had a look at the splash screen component, but
> that one isn't able to display text.

There's nothing quite like this in wxRuby at the moment, because there's
no cross-platform way at the moment to do it in the underlying toolkit.
It's under discussion:

http://www.nabble.com/API-for-transient-notification-messages--t4832586.html

I guess you could use  Win32API to do it on Windows, but AFAIK there is
no "native" way to do this on OS X, hence growl as an add-on. Perhaps
Growl could be scripted via Ruby-Cocoa.

I'd be interested to know if any of the other major toolkits support
this: QT or GTK.

PS - these questions are better asked on the wxruby-users mailing list,
where more people will see them:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/36
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/wxruby-users/

alex