On Dec 6, 7:11 pm, Jose <jld... / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 dic, 02:06, MonkeeSage <MonkeeS... / gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Anybody knows this printf "bug" will be solved in ruby 1.9?
>
> > Not really a bug, just that 1.8 doesn't have native unicode support.
>
> I understand. That's why I put "bug" in double quotes
>
> > But, yes, in ruby 1.9 you have a native utf-8 type, so with default
> > utf-8 encoding, printf Just Works
>
> Great!
>
> I'm still intrigued about the poor utf8 support in current and past
> versions, specially taking into account that ruby was developed in
> Japan. Anyway, these are good news.

IIRC, ruby wasn't created with unicode support because unicode is less
efficient at representing East Asian character sets than other
encodings like shift-jis/euc-jp (something to the effect of unicode
requiring 16-bits to store characters that can be represented in 8-
bits in those other encodings).

> Thanks for answering,
> --Jose

No problem. :)