On Dec 5, 10:19 am, Vassilis Rizopoulos <damp... / freemail.gr> wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
> >  On Dec 5, 7:08 am, Vassilis Rizopoulos <damp... / freemail.gr> wrote:
> > > Is there a binary gem for fastthread on windows? Yes, there is.
> > > RubyGems 0.9.5 is broken for mswin32.
> > > This was reported here, in mongrel mailing list and all over the
> > > web.
> > > gem install fastthread on windows tries to compile with rather
> > > unpleasant consequences.
> >  gem install is trying to install the ruby version of all these gems
> >  since "think" there is no match for 'mswin32' platform.
> >  All that was fixed on RubyGems trunk but still no official release of
> >  "0.9.5.1" to fix it.
> > > I guess fastthread compilation is done with the VC6.0 tools, cause
> > > my VS2005 installation crashes and burns:
> >  You can use a different compiler than the one use to build ruby. You
> >  need to build ruby with VS2005.
> >  at's another story, the bottom line is: rubygems shouldn't be
> >  asking
> >  Revert to RubyGems 0.9.4 for the time being and this problem will go
> >  away.
> >  (I know is not your fault, but I'm really getting tired of repeat
> >  myself all over again).
>
> I can undertsand that :). I guess I can get the binary gem and install
> locally.
> The problem is that reverting to 0.9.4 brings up a different problem
> that I have with one of my own gems.
> When I do a gem install or gem update rutema with 0.9.4 a list pops up
> with the available versions.
> Now the old versions (build with Hoe) have ruby as a platform. The new
> versions (posted yesterday) have no platform set (empty parenthesis).
> If I choose any of the new versions I get a 404 error from gem. Note
> that this happens only on windows, on my mac everything works fine.
> Everything is built with Hoe so it must be something that happened
> during the upgrade of either rubygems or hoe.
> Once I upgraded to rubygems 0.9.5 the problem went away.
> Now it might be that because I built the gems on a system with 0.9.5
> there is some kind of incompatibility with 0.9.4

Hoe set the platform to the gem specification to Gem::Platform::RUBY
by default, so if this was packaged in the gem as empty string or
rubygems being unable to 'parse' the platform rutema gem is set could
be a bug in rubygems itself.

You should report this situation in RubyGems tracker:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=126

> I honestly don't have the time to look into it though :(
> Cheers,
> V.-

Me neither :-P

A lot of folks didn't roll the upgrade to 0.9.5, and some of those who
made it revert back to 0.9.4...

I suggest you recreate these gems with 0.9.4 and ask Tom (at Rubyforge
support) to help you resync them on the mirrors replacing the old and
broken ones.

Regards.

Luis