On Dec 4, 7:58 pm, Daniel DeLorme <dan... / dan42.com> wrote:
> MonkeeSage wrote:
> > I guess we were talking about different things then. I never meant to
> > imply that the regexp engine can't match unicode characters
>
> Since regular expressions are embedded in the very syntax of ruby just
> as arrays and hashes, IMHO that qualifies as unicode support. So yeah,
> it seems like we have a semantic disagreement. :-(
>
> > I, like Charles (and I think most people), was referring to the
> > ability to index into strings by characters, find their lengths in
> > characters
>
> That is certainly *one* way of supporting unicodde but by no means the
> only way. My belief is that you can do most string manipulations in a
> way that obviates the need for char indexing & char length, if only you
> change your mindset from "operating on individual characters" to
> "operating on the string as a whole". And since regex are a specialized
> language for string manipulation, they're also a lot faster. It's a
> little like imperative vs functional programming; if I told you about a
> programming language that has no variable assignments you might think
> it's completely broken, and yet that's how functional languages work.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. But there is one
point...

main = do
  let i_like = "I like "
  putStrLn $ i_like ++ haskell
  where haskell = "a functional language"

;)

> > to compose and decompose composite characters, to
> > normalize characters, convert them to other encodings like shift-jis,
> > and other such things.
>
> Converting encodings is a worthy goal but unrelated to unicode support.
> As for character [de]composition that would be a very nice thing to have
> if it was handled automatically (e.g. "a\314\200"=="\303\240") but if
> the programmer has to worry about it then you might as well leave it to
> a specialized library. Well, it's not like ruby lets us abstract away
> composite characters either in 1.8 or 1.9... I never claimed unicode
> support was 100%, just good enough for most needs.
>
> > just a difference of opinion. I don't mind being wrong (happens a
> > lot! ;) I just don't like being accused of spreading FUD about ruby,
> > which to my mind implies malice of forethought rather that simply
> > mistake.
>
> Yes, that was too harsh on my part. My apologies.

No worries. :) I apologize as well for responding by saying you were
lying about unicode support; I see that we just have a difference of
opinion and were talking past each another.

> Daniel

Regards,
Jordan