On 4 Dec, 00:36, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondan... / gmail.com>
wrote:

> No mac apps use CR as line endings now.

Some Carbon apps that date back to pre-OS X days still use CRs by
default (I use one such app here, and its habit of changing my line
endings is pretty annoying). Some modern text editors, e.g.
TextWrangler, allow you to set the linebreak style along with other
stuff like encodings.

The OP's using TextEdit, which uses LFs by default, although I can't
recall if it preserves existing CRs in pasted text. Might be worth
trying a better text editor to see if that unearths any hidden nasties
- e.g. TextWrangler costs nothing, can display hidden characters and
lets you force line endings to the desired Unix style. And maybe take
a look at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline> if still confused by
my last attempt to explain linebreak issues.

HTH

has