> just means that the whole thing
> becomes method-name soup and has *no* meaning.

That is not true. I agree that it should not be used
in other ways than how pretty everyone else uses it.

However, it does not have *no* meaning anymore, it
simply has a *different* meaning now. If you want to
use it (i.e define this different meaning) and how
you want to use it, is up to you - for example,
you could do something like:

  def nuke!
    FileUtils.rm_rf /playing_games_during_worktime # boss coming in!
  end

And you would still be aware that the method does
something dangerous.

I used to do this years ago, until I later found out
I hated to be surprised by methods with ! which
behave differently ;-)