thanks for responding jeff, and for your feedback.

unfortunately, i kept encountering "syntax error, unexpected $end,
expecting kEND"
with variations of the send_email code.

i tried the following instead, and i'm now able to receive an xml
response:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

require 'net/http'
require 'uri'

type = 'record'
activity = 'query-data'

xml_req =<<EOF
<? xml version='1.0' ?>
<DATASET>
<SITE_ID>123456789</SITE_ID>
<MLID>987654321</MLID>
<DATA type='email'>user / somedomain.com</DATA>
</DATASET>
EOF

req = "type=#{type}&activity=#{activity}&input="
req = req + URI.escape(xml_req)

res = Net::HTTP.start('www.uptilt.com') { |http|
  http.post("/API/mailing_list.html", req)
}
puts res.body

(by the way, it is not an e-mail that i am attempting to send, but
rather an e-mail address, in order that i might receive statistical
information via xml that is tied to that e-mail address.)