On Dec 3, 2007 6:41 AM, Robert Dober <robert.dober / gmail.com> wrote:
> I also would like to have more information about discouraging other
> languages, that seems a bold and stupid move IMHO, not at all in the
> spirit of education on an open platform.
> If this were true I would be rather shocked.

IIRC, the restriction was on what could be used for a core component of
the platform (to keep the base size down), but that additional devel
environments could be added.  I did find this reference:
    Java virtual machine can be added via Yum or RPM install
    but [is] not part of the standard distribution [1]

I will certainly be installing Ruby on mine.

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_components