On Nov 30, 2007 4:30 AM, Pleos <azimux / gmail.com> wrote:
> I was interested in giving ruby a try.  I have been coding for years
> in java and C# and was interested in something new.

<big response snipped>

Hmm, I don't know of anything that allows you to code by voice,
unless your voice recognition software can operate in a way that
is application independent (i.e. operates by faking existing key clicks).

Theres a lot of potential there alright - voice recognition could be used
as a way to alias the various macro/code complete functions of many
IDEs. One thing I find about Ruby development is that I use a combination
of editors and IDEs. You will too, until you settle on one you like.

Netbeans is doing a lot of good at being a unified Ruby + Ruby on Rails
IDE across all major OSes, but there's lots of loyalty to not-so-humble
programmer editors, and the classics (textmate, Vim, emacs etc.)

However there is a fair chunk of auto-completion in most tools, even
if it is not like the dictation style to which you are familiar.