Wolfgang Ndasi-Donner wrote:
> Patrick Aljord wrote:
>> How about Ruby 2.0 release? I thought 1.9 was suppose to be an
>> experimental branch and that 2.0 would be the true next stable
>> release. Is 2.0 planed for next year or is it planned for (much)
>> later?
>
> I understood the comments given by Matz, that the development of 2.0
> didn't start yet. The official release software "Ruby 1.9.n" (n>=1) will
> contain features, that go into the direction of "Ruby 2".

It's worth mentioning that with 1.9 stabilizing a bit in 1.9.1, JRuby
will soon support the same set of features. We're aiming for sometime
shortly after the big 1.1 release, and it will include stabby lambdas,
the new string, syntax changes, and updated stdlib as well. We'll
continue to track Ruby features as they come along.

I would also like to be able to provide some of the features with 1.8
semantics, like stabby lambdas (since they wouldn't break anything). At
any rate, the plan currently is to have support for both 1.8 and 1.9 in
the same JRuby install, configurable with a command-line flag.

* stabby lambda refers to the new literal lambda syntax:

my_lamda = ->{ puts 'hello'}

- Charlie