On Dec 2, 2007, at 8:12 PM, Giles Bowkett wrote:

>> After spending some time with AppleScript for a day or two now in my
>> spare time, let me assure you:
>> aversion is good. AppleScript is an old dog and it shows. Limitations
>> galore.
>
> You're not the only one having that experience. I've seen it elsewhere
> - hence the aversion.
>
> I think this is one reason Apple's getting behind Ruby w/RubyCocoa,
> etc. I could be wrong, though.
>
> http://developer.apple.com/scriptingautomation/overview.html
>
> "Scripting Bridge, new in Leopard, brings advanced automation to the
> desktop, making it easy to send Apple Events═Ňhe built-in messaging
> architecture of Mac OS X═├etween applications, allowing you to
> leverage the features of rich desktop applications from your own code.
> The best part is that your code can be in the language you want,
> whether Objective-C (with Scripting Bridge), Python (with PyObjC),
> Ruby (with RubyCocoa), or pure AppleScript."
>
> I read somewhere or got the impression somehow that the whole plan
> here was to leverage the power they built into AppleScript but allow
> people to use languages they actually *enjoy* using, so Apple could
> stop sinking money into AppleScript and instead leverage the hackery
> and energy of the open source communities around Python and Ruby (and
> others).
>
> Wow. There's a bunch of libraries; check this out. I did
>
> sudo port install id3lib ; sudo gem install id3lib-ruby
>
> And then created a symlink because the apostrophe in my iPod's name
> was confusing Ruby somehow.
>
> ln -s /Volumes/Giles's\ iPod/iPod_Control/Music/F01/TSGI.mp3
> path_to_ipod_mp3
>
> And then:
>
>>> require 'id3lib'
> => true
>>> ID3Lib::Tag.new('path_to_ipod_mp3').title
> => "Good To Go"
>>> ID3Lib::Tag.new('path_to_ipod_mp3').artist
> => "General Midi"
>
> This means that for the simplest scenarios, copying stuff off an iPod
> and giving each file an appropriate name is downright effortless.
> That's really, really cool - I have an iPod synched to an old machine
> that I figured I'd have to keep forever unless I felt like giving up
> all the content on it. Not a problem any longer. I could fit the whole
> thing in the spare capacity on my newer iPod (since virtually
> everything on there was done in good old-fashioned mp3 format).
>
> w00t w00t
>
> --
> Giles Bowkett
I too wonder if Apple is or isn't cooking up some kind of appleScript  eplacement.
Ruby would be wonderful candidate for it.
But maybe too wonderful...?
The trouble with Apple Events is that in order to really make use of
them, you have to know a lot of Cocoa stuff already.
It's not cake.
What's worse is, if the app in question doesn't make itself
scriptable, then it will only be scriptable the hard way.
Apple employs this themselves in limiting access to apps... :(