> Some day, some day, somebody smarter and more ambitious than me will
> build that Ruby-native shell with all the joy of Ruby and command
> line tools integrated...

hehe working on that with my limited abilities...;)

Unfortunately, aside from time problems, I found two stop things:

First, I need something that can replace irb easily, so that you
get all the important functionality of irb and which has
sufficient docu to allow "normal" programmers unterstand
what is going on (understanding how IRB works is possible,
but i found it takes a lot of time, and isnt as fun as
starting from scratch)
Something that is as flexible as irb-in-a-browser too,
but for some reason I didnt find this very easy...

Second, I still have no real way on how to do piping of
objects/data with a ruby shell. (After all we are talking of a
real shell, no? One like in bash where you can apply filters...)

And also... ruby-ncurses would be nice to have, so that we
can get zsh-like "borders" around a prompt (and RPROMPT etc..
etc.. etc..)

But for now its a lot easier to replace all t he simple unix
tools in pure ruby... thats not that difficult, just
quite some work

"but you wouldn't get tab-completion"
Well you can, with Readline.readline and using a proc
object for tab completion. The docu is a little bit weird,
but with a little help i got that to work.