Hi, I'm trying to download via http only the first, say, 10k of a file.
I'm using open-uri but even when I try to break out of the core loop
where it's reading the buffer, I can hear my hard-drive grinding away
downloading the entire 3MB.  When I look at the file written to the disk
it shows only 10k, but judging by the length of time it takes to execute
the script and the grinding sound of my hard-drive, I think it's
downloading the entire file.

I read the other posts about a progress bar, but that's not really what
I'm trying to do..... or is it?

Is there a way to interrupt the download?  As you can see I tried to
break out of the code blocks every chance I got.

Here is my code:

def download_first_n_kilobytes n, file_name
  n = 1024 * n
  uri = file_name
  count = 0
  open(uri) do |fin|
     open(convert_to_file_name(uri), 'w') do |fout|
       while(buf = fin.read(n))
         count += 1
         fout.write buf
         if count > 0