_why wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 06:12:42AM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> ObRuby: OK, why isn't *Ruby* taught in US schools?
>
> Wait, Ruby is taught in US schools.  Parkrose Middle in Portland added
> Hackety Hack to its curriculum this year.  Eventually every school
> in the world will teach Ruby, one reputable source was heard to say,
> but politely asked that she not be quoted.
>
> _why

Well ... I've spent most of the past few days immersing myself in the
OLPC software, and unless either Intel or Microsoft manages to wipe OLPC
off the map *and* supports Ruby to boot, "eventually every school in the
world will teach" Python and Squeak Smalltalk. Remember, this hardware
platform has 256 MB of RAM and 1 GB of flash disk and can't be upgraded
without prayer and a soldering iron.

For those who do want to experiment with Ruby on an (emulated) OLPC XO,
the rest of the UI is pretty standard -- GTK, Pango, Cairo, Xulrunner,
and the kernel itself (except for the wireless and touchpad, which are
bleeding edge). However, OpenGL isn't there -- apparently the resource
usage is too high.