Dale Martenson wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2:18 pm, Greg Willits <li... / gregwillits.ws> wrote:
>
>> So, what's the secret to using unicode character ranges in Ruby regex
>> (or Rails validations)?
>
> Tim Bray gave a great talk about I18N, M17N and Unicode at the 2006
> Ruby Conference. His presentation can be found at:
>
> http://www.tbray.org/talks/rubyconf2006.pdf
>
> He described how many member functions have trouble dealing with these
> character sets. He made special reference to regular expressions.

That's just beyond sad.

I've been using Lasso for several years now, and *2003* it provided
complete support for Unicode. I know there's some esoterics it may not
deal with, but for all practical purposes we can round-trip data in
western and eastern languages with Lasso quite easily.

How can all these other languages be so far behind?

Pretty bad if I can't even allow Mr. Muños or Göran to enter their names
in a web form with proper server side validations. Aargh.

-- gw