On Nov 28, 7:15 pm, scootiePuff <elle.on.ra... / gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> goal: send a request that includes xml syntax via http post to
> emaillabs' api
> problem: would like help in constructing the (xml) request properly

I think you're creating the xml part ok, it's the previous section
that should be different.  Here's what we do:

# send email via emailLabs
# the msg parameter is actually the XML fragment that should be sent
def send_email(msg, type, activity)
  req = "type=#{type}&activity=#{activity}&input="
  req = req + URI.escape(msg)
  begin
    Net::HTTP.start('www.uptilt.com') do |query|
       response = query.post("/API/mailing_list.html", req)
      @response = response.body
   end
 rescue
    @error = true
    @error_msg = "Unable to connect to Email Labs."
 return false
end

You don't need those @ variables of course, I'm just copying and
pasting from our code, but hopefully it sheds some light.  The main
difference is we're constructing the first part differently, and
making sure we escape the xml first.

Jeff
softiesonrails.com
essentialrails.com