"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb / cesmail.net> writes:
> I've been seriously considering the One Laptop Per Child Give One Get
> One program, and it's starting to look really good at this
> point. However, the preferred scripting language is Python, and in
> fact the use of other languages is discouraged. Given that, I'm
> wondering if there's a Ruby port.

I was going to say "tough luck".  Was the original 2 week limit just
hype or what?

In any case, Ruby will be running on it soon after I receive mine.

> There is lots of other "interesting stuff under the hood." It doesn't
> appear to have GCC built in -- I think you have to cross-develop. But
> it has Squeak for the Smalltalk folks, Open Firmware for the Forth
> folks, and CSound for its audio toolset. I suppose, given all that, I
> could live with Python instead of Ruby, but I'd rather not. So
> ... does anyone know if Ruby has been made to run on one of them?
> Clearly it *can* be done -- the processor is an AMD Geode (MMX plus
> 3DNow! -- Athlon equivalent).

Unless you have child-size hands, you may not enjoy typing on an OLPC.
(Mine is for use by an actual child, though I seem to be in the
minority in that regard.)  Just download the developer image and boot
on whatever random PC.  In fact, I suspect that if you then
immediately type something like "yum install ruby", you'll be
pleasantly surprised.

Steve