On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:03:09 -0500
"barcaroller" <barcaroller / music.net> wrote:

> Can someone kindly recommend some good books on the following:
>
>     Ruby for beginners

  Learning Programming:
    Learn to Program

  A bit more advanced:
    Ruby by Example

  Some programming knowledge from other language:
    Everyday scripting with Ruby
    Ruby Cookbook
    Programming Ruby
    The Ruby Way

>     Ruby for advanced users

  Programming Ruby
  The Ruby Way
  The Ruby Cookbook

>     Ruby On Rails for beginners

      Ruby on Rails

>     Ruby On Rails for advanced users

      Can't help you there sorry.

> Is there a bible like Larry Wall's Programming Perl or Bjarne
> Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language?

The Pickaxe (Programming Ruby) would probably be the closest although
The Ruby Way wouldn't be too far behind.

Another good little book to have nearby is O'Reilly's Ruby Pocket
Reference.

My favourites sources in order:
(I'm probably at ('bit more advanced'/'knowledge from other language')
level above):

1. Without doubt this newsgroup! A LOT of info gets posted here!
2. irb, Google, the Cookbook
3. Ruby Pocket Reference
4. http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/
   Pickaxe, The Ruby Way

I've only recently bought Ruby by Example and Everyday Scripting.. So
far they are both great books.

cheers,

--
Mark