Hi,

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't find information anywhere
about adding any level of interaction with the user into rake tasks.
What I want really is something equivalent to the unix/ linux command
"read" so that the task can vary conditionally depending on responses
from the user. The point would be to replace various shell scripts that
I have with a single, more elegant Rakefile.

Simply inserting the shell command...

sh "read whatever_variable_name"

... into the Rakefile doesn't work- I get the following error:

Command failed with status (127): [read whatever_variable_name...]

I guess this is because Rake doesn't respond to the results of shell
commands, but only executes them "blind".

Thanks,

Rob.