On Nov 27, 11:42 am, Trollen Lord <trollenl... / gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Something like Shoes for Ruby, core, and default on all platform
> distributions. It should also look and feel native.

Here are the four "big" toolkits and some infos:

1.) Tk has an extension called Tile [1], which should be part of the
next major release as I understand it. I don't see why ruby wouldn't
have Tile support at that time (but don't hold me to it, just my
guess). Tile supports themes with more of a native look and feel (on
at least win* and *nix).

2.) WxWidgets supports true native widgets. I know it supports native
widgets on win* and *nix, and I think they have some cocoa support
(but not sure). I don't know how good the wxruby binding is firsthand,
but I've heard it's fairly decent. (Somebody?) For an example of a wx
app, check out the VLC screenshots [2]. VLC is a C/C++ app, but the
toolkit looks exactly the same as it would from a ruby app (look at
the native widgets screenshots, not the skins2 ones).

3.) No clue about QT. (Somebody?)

4.) GTK+. Native installer (.msi/.exe), about 12 megs. Excellent ruby
bindings and documentation. The default theme on win* using a .dll to
render native widgets. Looks about 95% native and is comparably fast.
Some screentshots of GTK+ running on win xp show how it looks. [3][4]
[5] And you don't have to just use the toolkit look, you can create
and theme your own widgets, and get something that looks like
fruityloops or 3dstudio if you want (like the free 3d modeler/ray-
tracer blender does [6]). Yes, I like gtk the best, but I see no
reason not to think that the others are/can be equally good.

So there is no shortage of cross-platform, native-look and feel
toolkits with ruby bindings. You just have to take the time and energy
to learn them. :)

HTH,
Jordan

[1] http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/