I've been seriously considering the One Laptop Per Child Give One Get
One program, and it's starting to look really good at this point.
However, the preferred scripting language is Python, and in fact the use
of other languages is discouraged. Given that, I'm wondering if there's
a Ruby port.

There is lots of other "interesting stuff under the hood." It doesn't
appear to have GCC built in -- I think you have to cross-develop. But it
has Squeak for the Smalltalk folks, Open Firmware for the Forth folks,
and CSound for its audio toolset. I suppose, given all that, I could
live with Python instead of Ruby, but I'd rather not. So ... does anyone
know if Ruby has been made to run on one of them? Clearly it *can* be
done -- the processor is an AMD Geode (MMX plus 3DNow! -- Athlon
equivalent).

If I do get one, I most likely *won't* do a Ruby port myself -- given
CSound, there are some other things I'm planning to do with it, and I
don't mind learning Python if I have to. (*Anything* to avoid Squeak!) :)