Trollen Lord wrote:
> All in all, Ruby could really shine. But I think it will never do that.

Well, I think that it is overstating things to say that it will *never*
shine.  People can do amazing things if properly motivated.

That having been said, I must say that I agree with you in spirit.  I
think that, as a language, it is has great stuff inside and I feel good
when I write with it.  OTOH, I also agree that it is not ready for GUI
IDE development.  While it would be nice if there was a Delphi for Ruby,
I do not see an incipient release.

As was mentioned before, there are growing pains to be reckoned with.  I
remember writing assembler programs using debug.  That totally sucked,
but I persisted as did others and things got better.  We do need to have
someone get things together.  Things will take off in a major way when
people can write a reasonable IDE.  Even if it is only what Visual Basic
or Delphi had 10 years ago, it would be more than enough to bring ruby
into prime time.

I love the language.  I have tried several libraries to make GUI apps
with no success.  I am thinking of writing something to use rails as
some kind of "I give up. Give me ANYTHING" kind of user interface.  I
find that part frustrating especially as everything I learn about ruby
makes me love it more, I find that I cannot get much use out of it.  I
just write small scripts to do grunt work.

Is someone working on this somewhere?  /hope