Arto Kalishian wrote:
>> Or, if you're used to an IDE, download and try Netbeans. I use NB6-rc2
>> with the native Ruby interpreter and it's a great development
>> environment! The active syntax highlighter is fantastic.
>
> I've tried netBeans really cool interface but it seemed to me that
> NetBeans is encouraging JRuby rather than Ruby.. so what do you think?
> Is it better to learn JRuby or Ruby? And which one is better for windows
> applications and creating Windows Forms, buttons..etc?

Although the default setting after installing NB is set to JRuby, it's
just to change the setting if you want to use native Ruby. Native Ruby
is fully supported. In recent builds, you can also choose different
interpreters for different projects if you want.

If you want to create Windows apps, it's more a matter of selecting the
windowing toolkit suitable for your needs. I'm using wxRuby, but there
are many others. Test a couple of gems and use the one you like the best.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson