Phrogz wrote:

> Help! How do I create a gem? I know that once I do, and upload it to
> rubyforge, that it will magically be available to all. But first I
> need to create one, and...I'm stumped.

When I went through this process the first time, I used the Pick Axe
chapter written by Chad Fowler and browsed gem specs I found online
for Hoe, Rake, and the like.

The next time, I tried Dr. Nic's newgem, but it was overwhelming.

Now, I use 'sow' that comes with the Hoe gem to create a nice,
minimalistic gem skeleton, e.g.,

  $ sudo gem install hoe
  $ sow gem_of_gems
  creating project gem_of_gems
  ... done, now go fix all occurrences of 'FIX'

    GemOfGems/Rakefile:9:  # p.author = 'FIX'
    GemOfGems/Rakefile:10:  # p.email = 'FIX'
    GemOfGems/Rakefile:11:  # p.summary = 'FIX'
    GemOfGems/README.txt:2:    by FIX (your name)
    GemOfGems/README.txt:3:    FIX (url)
    GemOfGems/README.txt:7:FIX (describe your package)
    GemOfGems/README.txt:11:* FIX (list of features or problems)
    GemOfGems/README.txt:15:  FIX (code sample of usage)
    GemOfGems/README.txt:19:* FIX (list of requirements)
    GemOfGems/README.txt:23:* FIX (sudo gem install, anything else)
    GemOfGems/README.txt:29:Copyright (c) 2007 FIX

I leaned on topfunky's blog post to get going:

  http://nubyonrails.com/articles/tutorial-publishing-rubygems-with-hoe

Regards,
--
Bil Kleb