On Nov 24, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Brian Adkins wrote:

> man screen
>
> and/or
>
> Google (screen)
>
> The main tip I read was to use <ctrl>-a d to "detach" from the screen
> session. Then invoke "screen -x" to re-attach.

these are the aliases i use most often from the command line

cfp:~ > grep screen .bash_profile
     alias sl='screen -list '
     alias sdr='screen -d -r '
     alias s='screen -D -R '

these allow me to start a named screen with, for example

cfp:~ > s attributes

and then to list them, viewing the names with

cfp:~ > sl
There are screens on:
         2364.attributes-5.0.0   (Attached)
         2611.systemu-1.2.0      (Attached)
         4131.orderedhash-0.0.3  (Attached)
         554.bj-0.0.1    (Attached)
         747.main-2.6.0  (Attached)

and to re-attach to a named screen with

cfp:~ > sdr attributes

which dumps me exactly where i was several days ago working on the
project

on my mac it use iterm and keep one tab per project, with each tab
containing a screen that itself contains all the goings on for that
project, for example and edit window, one running ./script/console,
one tailing a log file, etc.  with this approach it's quite easy to
have 10 or 20 projects, some rails, some ruby, some c, some perl, all
open in the same 'ide' with the same interface.

maybe i'll put together a screencast (no pun intended) at some point
to give a visual of what this is like to work in.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama