> Being a new Ruby user, and a brand new programmer (which isn't working
> out so well), I am curious as to what all everyone here is using Ruby
> for. I am looking for some ideas as to what kind of programs I should
> attempt to make

You need some small problems for practice? You could try some Ruby
Quiz problems.

http://www.rubyquiz.com

It sounds like you also have another problem - no reason to be a
programmer in the first place. Why are you learning how to program? Is
there something that you want to create, or some problem that you wish
to solve, for which you think programming might help?

> so I though it would be cool if we could all discuss
> what we have made with Ruby.

Look around - this is already happening. Most of the conversations on
this mailing list are about some project that someone is working on.
No need to ask people to do what they are already doing - just join
in.

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.

                    - C.A.R. Hoare -