-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:55:53 +0900
> Von: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb / cesmail.net>
> An: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Re: Ruby to Perl translation

> Axel Etzold wrote:
> > Is it true that Perl is written completely in C as Ruby is ?
> > Then, if you had an arbitrary, but fixed Perl script you wanted
> > to use in Ruby, if you could (possibly automatically) determine
> > what of the underlying C is actually used in that script, you could make
> that work as a C extension of Ruby, couldn't you ?
>
> You're being sarcastic, right?

Dear Ed,

mmmh, probably, you're right.

I'm not sure whether any Perl script existed that
I'd personally like to use in Ruby with the following additional features:

- no Ruby solution for the underlying problem on RAA,
- I'd not be able to write one in Ruby in less time than the C extension
 approach would cost me ( and it sometimes takes me a long time to get to
working code...).

I didn't write that to offend anyone though.
Every three months, I find it bothersome that there seems to be no
negative lookahead in Ruby regexps, and just recently, I discovered
that there is a library that has that -- written for Lua, partly
in C, partly in Lua, so I was wondering how much work it would be
to replace the C functions whose names start in 'lua_' by the actual
C code Lua is written in itself.
So, it wouldn't be necessary to rewrite the whole language, but only
a part of it, which could make the resulting script more lightweight.
(Lua promises to be a very lightweight, C extension and glue language --
I don't think the same holds true for Perl ;-)).

To do that for one application alone is certainly shooting with cannons
on birds, but if a specific grammar software achieving that were available, one could borrow nice solutions from other scripting languages more
easily ...

I admit that starting this for Perl is probably extremely involved
and most likely practically infeasible ...  I just hoped that
someone had some nice code ready to solve all my problems -- as has
happened so many times before with Ruby :).

Best regards,

Axel