On Nov 22, 2:07 am, Michael Greenly <mgree... / gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Greenly wrote:
>
> So this thread left me thinking about how I'd like to see RubyGems work
> on Debian...
>
> Using environment variables to override locations makes sense for end
> users but not for base system configuration.  Either using a file in
> rubylibdir or a value in rbconfig both seem like excellent choices.  Or
> better yet using all these methods in an ordered evaluation seems the
> best choice.
>
> The one thing I keep sticking on is how do you handle 'gem update
> --system'
>
> Assuming that RubyGems is installed initially through a a distro package
> it obviously can't update it's self in place.  I think the ideal
> solution here is that RubyGems (through load paths) allowed for two
> levels of installation.
>
> What I mean is if the Debian distributed RubyGems was initially
> installed right along side Ruby but an 'update --system' caused it to
> install the new version to some none-dpkg controlled directory (that had
> load order precedence) everything would mostly work as expected.
>
> It's not a perfect solution.  There's the potential for users to get
> confused about which RubyGems is getting used but they can check using
> 'gem environment'.
>
> Is this at all what Apples patch did? or was that just for the gem
> location?

On any case, that wouldn't work. Doesn't packages contains a file
manifest bundled indicating which files are part of it? Also will
happen for ruby installed as package.

So, if you use gem system --update functionality, you brake your
package manager :-P

How users would remove it later if "they don't like the updated
version"? what about duplication or you trying to find installed gems
in wrong places? (due the non-dpkg and dpkg'ed versions).

Hehehe, no intention to offend anyone, but I feel better manually
downloading and compiling ruby and installing rubygems than using apt-
get or whatever package managing solution the platform offer.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems