It sure can. I really like the idea of supporting remote pair programming.
It could be its own project -- a Remote-Pair-Programming plug-in for
eclipse. This would make it usable in any supported Eclipse development
environment (Java, Ruby, etc).

> 2. How much freedom is there in the user interface? (There
> are certain features I am a big believer in.)

As far as I have tell (in just getting started on the learning curve), you
pretty much have complete freedom in the UI.

> 3. Is there an editor associated with eclipse itself? Or is that
> a tools issue? Or totally a orthogonal issue?

I'm not completely sure here. I know there is a "styled-text widget", but
that may not qualify as an editor. There is, however, a complete set of
plug-ins for supporting Java development, and that obviously includes an
editor. And since this is all open source, that could be borrowed is there
is not a provided editor.

> 4. Are you the project coordinator, Curt?  :)  Is there a project
> page somewhere yet, or will there be? I'd like to get involved
> in this and I'd like to see others get involved. And I'd hate for it
> to be one of those things that gets to version 0.2 and dies...

There isn't a project page at the moment. Maybe I should get something set
up at Savannah.

Curt